Steps To Take After an Accident with Uninsured Driver in Colorado

When you get in an accident with another motorist, the first thing you do is exchange insurance information. But what happens when the other driver has no car insurance? Will you be able to recover damages if the at-fault driver is uninsured? Yes, but you might need the help of a Denver car accident attorney to hold the other driver responsible for damages. 

When an uninsured driver causes an accident that leads to injury and/or property damage, they can put a significant financial burden on the victims. A Denver car accident attorney from Cave Law can help you pursue monetary compensation from an uninsured motorist at no out-of-pocket cost to you.

Colorado Car Insurance Requirements

All drivers in Colorado are required by law to have minimum amounts of insurance (bodily injury and property damage). But despite the minimum liability requirements, it’s not uncommon to run into an uninsured driver in the Centennial State. The Insurance Information Institute (III) estimates that more than 16% of motorists in Colorado are uninsured. 

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Colorado is an at-fault state. This means that in the event of a two-car accident, the at-fault party is responsible for the damages. In most cases, motorists fulfill this obligation through their car insurance. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage steps in if the at-fault driver doesn’t carry any insurance. 

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage offers a great way for drivers in Colorado to protect themselves from uninsured drivers. This coverage pays your medical bills and property damage in case you are in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist. Is uninsured coverage mandatory? 

No, uninsured motorist coverage is not mandatory. While the state of Colorado doesn’t require drivers to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, the insurance company is required to offer this coverage to Colorado motorists. Drivers who don’t want this coverage must reject it in writing. 

What to Do Following a Car Accident With an Uninsured Motorist? 

Suppose you suffered injuries and property damage in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist. In that case, there are certain things you should do to increase your chances of recovering monetary compensation from the driver who hit you. Here are the steps you should take immediately following an accident with an uninsured motorist in Colorado. 

  1. Get the other motorist’s information. Be sure to obtain their name, driver’s license information, license plate number, and other relevant details. 
  2. Collect evidence. Document the incident by taking photos of the scene and your injuries using your cell phone. These pictures can show proof of the other driver’s fault.
  3. Talk to the investigating officer. Give the officer(s) who report at the scene of the accident your side of the story. Otherwise, the other party’s story will be the only version on record. 
  4. Get a complete physical examination. Seek immediate medical attention for any accident-related injuries. You can go to your primary physician or another doctor. 
  5. Notify your insurance provider. Call your insurance company as soon as possible to notify them of the accident and discuss your case. 
  6. Speak to a Denver car accident attorney. Pursuing financial damages from an uninsured driver can be challenging. A Denver car accident lawyer will guide you through the process. 

Why You Need Help From a Denver Car Accident Lawyer 

If you were in an accident involving an uninsured driver, you might have a few options to obtain compensation for the bills and expenses you incur due to your injuries. If you carry it, your uninsured motorist coverage can cover these expenses. If you don’t have uninsured motorist coverage, you may have to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.

Our attorneys at Cave Law can help you understand the options you may have to obtain financial compensation after an accident involving an uninsured motorist. We’ll file insurance claims and, if need be, aggressively pursue fair and full compensation in court on your behalf. Contact us today for a free consultation. 



Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.