Cave Law

13770 E. Rice Pl.,
Aurora, CO 80015

(303) 680-9000
or text ‘Injured’ to 64600

What About My Injuries? – Part One

In the last post, we discussed the two parts to almost every car collision:  property damage and bodily injury.  We focused on property damage and what to do about your car following a collision.  Call us if you have questions, 303-680-9000.

This week, our focus is on bodily injury – the broad term used to describe any injuries a person receives as a result of an auto collision.

When the collision is entirely someone else’s fault, you’ll want to know what to do about your injuries, who pays for your medical bills, and what damages are you entitled to from the at-fault driver and/or their insurance company.

In this first of a two-part post, we’ll discuss your injuries, what to do about them, and who pays your medical bills anyway?  In part two, we’ll talk about the damages you’re entitled to.

I’m Hurt – Now What?!

Your job – after being involved in a collision that’s not your fault – is to seek medical treatment.  Period.  As soon as possible.  Injury severity following an accident isn’t easy to diagnose on your own.

Many of our clients tell us they felt fine after a car collision, only to discover a few days later they’re sore, fatigued, disoriented, bruised, banged up, hurting, and generally not well.

At the scene, if you’re the least bit confused, in pain, aching, anxious, or disoriented – call for an ambulance to take you to the closest Emergency Room or if you’re able, have someone you trust take you there.

You’ll want to follow the advice of the ER doctors.  You’ll also want to follow up with your PCP or other healthcare provider of your choice.  Many providers focus on and specialize in treating people who’ve been involved in auto accidents – seek them out or ask how to get in to see them.  It’s your health, and it’s the most important.

When you hire Cave Law, our job is to manage your case while you get the treatment you need.  We take the burden off – we deal with the insurance companies, medical billing companies, health insurance, police reports, medical records, everything – allowing you to focus on your medical treatment and health.

My bills are piling up – what do I do?

You’ve gone to the ER, you’ve seen your PCP, you’ve been referred for a course of treatment, maybe you’re even starting to feel like you’re on your way to improvement…then the medical bills start coming in the mail.

This is when the stress of being in an accident gets cranked up.  This is why you hired Cave Law in the first place – because we’ll help you deal.

The good news is, there are multiple ways to deal with these bills that just seem to keep coming.  We’ll highlight three of them below:

  1. Medical payments coverage (MPC). In Colorado, it’s the law that everyone must carry at least the minimum of medical payments coverage on their own auto policy ($5,000.00) unless you waive it in writing.  We’ll help you determine whether you have MPC and assist in opening the claim.
  2. Health insurance. If you carried health insurance at the time of the collision, you can use it to pay for your accident-related medical bills. Unlike MPC, though, you’ll be responsible for paying any co-pays or meeting deductibles.  There’s also subrogation to consider, but we’ll cover subrogation in a different post.
  3. The at-fault driver. Many of our clients are surprised to learn that the other driver’s insurance company doesn’t pay for their medical bills as they go.  Sure, eventually we’ll get the at-fault driver’s insurance company to pay for your medical bills but think of it more as a reimbursement at the end of the case.

Call us today, 303-680-9000, we offer free consultations!



Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *