A personal injury lawyer is someone you hope you never have to hire—no one plans for accidents and injuries. When injured due to someone else’s carelessness, it’s essential to know your rights and receive any compensation you may be entitled to. This is where a personal injury lawyer becomes necessary. This is a professional who can look at the circumstances of your injury and determine if you have a case.
When Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
There are many ways that people get injured every day. Here are just a few examples:
- Traffic accidents, including car accidents as well as pedestrians and cyclists getting hit by vehicles.
- Accidents at work, which may involve faulty machinery or any unsafe conditions.
- Customers getting injured in a store or other place of business.
- Tenants injured in or around rental property.
- Dog bites.
- Injuries occurring at or near construction sites, such as from falling debris.
In these and other situations, your injury may be the result of someone else’s negligence. Therefore, a lawyer will be able to determine if you may be entitled to compensation.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
If you or someone close to you has been hurt, you can call a lawyer for a consultation. Your initial consultation with a Denver Colorado personal injury attorney is free. Our expert lawyers will consider your situation and determine if you have a case. Most personal injury attorneys work for contingency fees, which means that you only pay them if you win your case. The lawyer’s payment will be a percentage of your settlement. In other words, you won’t have to worry about paying any expensive lawyer fees right away.
The following are some tasks the lawyer may handle if they take your case. For instance,
- Examine the place where the accident occurred and take photos.
- Interview witnesses.
- Look at your medical records and talk to doctors who are treating you.
- Negotiate with insurance companies. An experienced attorney is better positioned to negotiate than a layperson who is unfamiliar with the law. An insurance company may prefer to settle a case rather than having a case go to trial and possibly have to pay out more.
- Represent you at trial for cases that do proceed to a trial.
You May Be Entitled to Several Types of Compensation
When you’re injured, you may be entitled to collect several types of compensation. For instance,
- Medical expenses.
- Loss of income, including loss of future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering.
- Mental anguish.
- Punitive damages.
One of the benefits of hiring a lawyer is that he or she may be able to collect multiple kinds of compensation for your injury.
Hiring a Lawyer Helps You Make the Best of a Difficult Situation
Above all, getting injured is always stressful. You may be experiencing pain and dealing with recovery and rehabilitation, either at a hospital or at home. You may be missing work or unable to run your business. Injuries result in emotional as well as financial hardship.
Trying to get compensation on your own is difficult and time-consuming. Insurance companies often do everything they can to delay or avoid paying. Responsible parties are not likely to be cooperative with someone unfamiliar with the law and who doesn’t know the right questions to ask. In conclusion, a personal injury attorney can step in and handle all the details necessary to make sure you are treated fairly. They are experienced with areas such as research, gathering evidence, and negotiating. Hiring the right professional can help you get the compensation you deserve.
At Cave Law, we have a team of experienced personal injury attorneys who are ready to help. We value our clients and handle each case with utmost care and professionalism. To speak to a specialized Denver car accident lawyer with years of experience in the field, contact us.